Saturday, May 18, 2013

Working for Happiness

Recently I have graduated from Penn State for my undergraduate education. In America, now-a-days, we see it as a very common occurrence that a person is required to have a degree in order to join the work force, or, in many cases, the ranks of unemployment. The degree has become something of a lie that we are told in high school. We are convinced that if we go to college we will be well off financially, and therefor happy. Unfortunately, many jobs that required a BA several years ago now requires an MA. Why is this? Who decided that in order to be successful you needed to be in more debt (or be privileged enough to have family/inheritance/ect to pay for your education)?

No thanks to writers like Lena Dunham, who apparently can make a career out of exploiting the sad white girl market, post undergrads resort to obtaining jobs in career fields that either have nothing to do with their degree, or totally sacrifice their happiness. What really bothers me is the latter of these paths. Why on earth would anyone take a job that makes them unhappy?

I recently watched a fabulous documentary called Beauty is Embarrassing. It follows the career and life of Wayne White, the artist. He is best known for his puppetry in the 80s hit TV show PeeWee's Playhouse, but he also is a painter, performer, father, and husband. Although the film is fascinating for simply showing his work, he also highlights a very important point about life. That is to do what you love, and it will lead you where you want to go.

Sure, not everyone loves making puppets or painting, but I think that this can be applied to all fields. If you love science, do that, and don't do it to make money or because someone tells you you should. Do what you want to do.

Currently (for the summer) I am working as a carpenter in a theatre scene shop, as well as some freelance design work. I'm making enough money, and am working long hours, but I'm happy. I am happy to go into work each morning, and when I go to sleep I don't dread waking up. Who would want to dread the next day before having experienced it?

Sure, not everyone can think this way. Money, unfortunately, is the driving force of our nation. It forces us into these financial boxes, and somehow leads us to be unhappy. But, to tell you the truth, I would rather be happy with less money than well off and hating my job. Not everyone can let themselves obtain that mentality, but I do love what I do, and I'll never be a pathetic character on 'Girls'.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely a theatre guy, this is great. I'm sending this to every accountant I know that hates their job and wishes they were making puppets and painting.

    ReplyDelete